Time-traveling deceased former president and liberal agitator Abraham Lincoln comments on present-day affairs from a secure location (the 1970s)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Attack of the Jazz Robots



About ten years ago I drew up rough plans for a mechanical horn machine. Since horn players are rare (and horn players who understand that not every song requires a trombone solo are rarer), I thought I could put together a device that handled some orchestral parts, or at least made some funny noises. It never materialized, mostly because I forgot about it until I saw this video.

Enter the Japanese jazz robot. This is not what I was going to build, but it's a hell of a lot more functional. There's a reason they picked this song to demonstrate the jazz robot - it's probably the pinnacle of jazz saxophone improvisation. In other words, there's a reason people attend Saint John Coltrane Church.

I've listened to Giant Steps maybe 10,000 times. I think it was the only album I had in my car from 1994 through 1998. I have transcriptions of it. I know every note. It's my ringtone, for crying out loud. Let me say - they did a hell of a job. It's awfully stiff, and I don't think any musician would really mistake it for a human, but it's still absolutely brilliant. I'm sure this was just an academic exercise and the technology will inevitably end up in boring non-musical areas (aka robot prune-pickers), but I still dream about that horn section in a box.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alymay said...

Join the FSC jazz band man! It's mostly community members anyways, and it's so much fun. And we have plenty of horns for you to use in other gigs;-) email me if you have questions!

11:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home